Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


7.8.05
  Book Riddle

This was around in the LJ world some time ago, and I picked it up for some more people to have fun.
It's the first sentences of books. Name title and author. (A little hint: my reading habits are rather varied. *grin*)

1) The big groundcar jerked to a stop centimeters from the vehicle ahead of it, and Armsman Pym, driving, swore under his breath. A Civil Campaign, Lois McMaster Bujold

2) Was she beautiful or not beautiful? and what was the secret of form and expression which gave the dynamic quality to her glance? Daniel Deronda, George Eliot - Màili McVane's guess

3) It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance. Outlander (Cross Stitch), Diana Gabaldon - Màili's guess


4) Shadow had done three years in prison.
American Gods, Neil Gaiman - Doug's guess

5) No one who had ever seen Catherine Morland in her infancy, would have supposed her born to be an heroine. Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen - Alex' guess

6) He should never have taken that shortcut. Timeline, Michael Crichton - Stephen's guess

7) Even in summer, Tintagel was a haunted place; Igraine, Lady of Duke Gorlois, looked out over the sea from the headland. The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley - Alex' guess

8) On a brilliant day in May, in the year 1868, a gentleman was reclining at his ease on the great circular divan which at that period occupied the centre of the Salon Carré, in the Museum of the Louvre. The American, Henry James - Stephen's guess

9) Always remember that they come from the desert.

10) All happy families are like one another; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Anna Karenina, Lev Tolstoy - Alex' guess

11) Lest anyone should suppose that I am a cuckoo's child, got on the wrong side of the blanket by lusty peasant stock and sold into indenture in a shortfallen season, I may say that I am House-born and reared in the Night Court proper, for all the good it did me. Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey - Brenria's guess

12) The gale tore at him and he felt its bite deep within and he knew that if they did not make landfall in three days they would all be dead.

13) There are some men who enter a woman's life and screw it up forever. One for the Money, Janet Evanovich - Marianne from Romancing the Blog

14) Once upon a time, in a land that was called Britain, these things happened. The Winter King, Bernard Cornwell - Alex' guess

15) He was an inch, perhaps two, under six feet, powerfully built, and he advanced straight at you with a slight stoop of the shoulders, head forward, and a fixed from-under stare which made you think of a charging bull. Lord Jim, Joseph Conrad - Màili's guess


 
Comments:
Cor! The only one I got straight away without some thinking was number 5)

I guessed and checked on the bookshelf for 7)

No 10 was extrememly familiar, but just couldn't remember where from, so cheated and checked on the Internet

Thought No 14 might be 'Once & Future King' by TH White, so checked and found it was somebody else ...

In these days of the Internet, most of the quotes can easily be found! However, it was fun to see which ones I thought I knew off my own bat (very few!)
 
Lol, 14 is an author you know. :)

Yep, 10 is one of these I Should Know That One.

And is an odd mix. I'll wait a few days for more takers and then will post the titles and authors.
 
4: Neil Gaiman, American Gods, no?
 
Yes. :)
 
Oh yes, I know who No 14 is - it was also on my bookshelf ...
 
Does the fact that nobody has gotten 6 mean that none of you have read Timelines by Michael Crichton, or that you have just blanked it out of your heads like any sensible person would?

8 is The American by Henry James, I think.
 
Lol, I found Timeline amusing, though not in the way the author had intended. ;)

The American is correct.
 
Is 11 Kushiel's Dart?
 
Yes. :)

BTW I friended you on LJ. I'm aulus_poliutos over there.
 
Number 15 is Joseph Conrad's LORD JIM, and number 2 belongs to DANIEL DERONDA, but I'm blanking on the author's name.

I'm not happy to recognise number 3 as the first line from Diana Gabaldon's CROSS STITCH [OUTLANDER].

Number 1 is so familiar that it's killing me. It's going to be one of those 'Oh, God. I can't believe I didn't get that one' things, I can tell.
 
Daniel Deronda is by George Eliot. It's one of my favourite books (but then, I have a lot of theses, lol).

Why are you not happy to recgonise Outlander? The first one is A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold.
 
George Eliot! *headdesk*
Lois McMaster Bujold! *headdesk*

As for your question, I have some "issues" with CROSS STITCH and, especially, some of its fans. The kind who thinks BRAVEHEART is a documentary.

OK, that was below the belt, but still ... :)
 
Lol, I don't think Braveheart is a documentary, and Cross Stitch isn't exactly a history book about Bonnie Prince Charlie and Culloden. :) Though it's an entertaining read.

But I know what you mean. I've left a Scottish discussion forum because of those who do think Braveheart is a documentary. There's no arguing with such idiots. And they hated the Campbells, because we sided with the English and are traitors, ye ken. ;)
 
[Via RTB]
13 is from One for the Money by Evanovich.
 
Yes. :-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK and other places, with essays on Roman and Mediaeval history illustrated with lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes. You may also find the odd essay about geology or Mediaeval literature.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail

Twitter