Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


2.9.05
  Participating in Katrina Relief

During the last days, the devastating news about Katrina, present all over the media here in Germany as well, mingled with the sad news from three online friends who had their beloved cats or dogs to be put down because of terminal illness. When I saw the pictures of wreckage and the overfilled human shelters, I wondered how many people had to leave pets behind, or were surprised by the hurricane like in Biloxi, how many scared and wet cats and dogs are roaming the streets and roofs in search for food and love, how many larger animals (I'm a horse girl myself) are stuck somewhere without the owners having a chance to return right now. Thus I decided to support an organization for Animal Rescue, the Humane Society, during the worldwide blog support day (click also here). I will keep the link up on the sidebar for some time.

If you have a few dollars or euros to spare, if you are lucky to sit in a nice place with a purring cat on your lap or a sleeping dog at your feet, donate.
 
Comments:
Thanks for the links! I've been so focused on the human misery, I'm guilty of not remembering our four-legged friends! I've been glued to the TV for a week and finally got around to posting a new blog today. Thanks for reminding me about the Humane Society. I know I'd be frantic if my cat Frodo was suffering in the ruins of New Orleans.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places (like Flanders and the Baltic States), with essays on Roman and Mediaeval history illustrated with lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes. You may also find the odd essay about geology or Mediaeval literature.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail

Twitter