Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


24.12.05
  Christmas Poem

A poem by the German writer Theodor Storm

Theodor Storm (1817 - 1888): German poet and a novel-writer (and lawyer). He lived most of the time in a town by the shore of the North Sea called Husum and many of his poems describe this landscape.

You can find another poem I translated here.



Weihnachtslied

From Heaven into valleys deep
The mild light of a star descends,
From fir tree woods a fragrance sweet
Ascends and through the cold night breathes;
And lit by candles is the night.


My heart is startled now with joy,
It is the Christmas time so dear!
Afar I hear the church bells toll,
So dear and homely they call
Me back into a fairy tale.


Again, I stand in adoration,
The old enchantment holds me still;
Before my eyes, from deep oblivion
Lost childhood's golden dreams return.
I feel, a miracle has happened here.


(My attempt at translation)

Ich wünsche allen ein fröhliches und gesegnetes Fest.
(I wish everyone a happy and blessed holiday.)
 
Comments:
And to you also..a very happy Christmas and many blessings for the New Year.
 
Thanks for sharing this wonderful poem. Thanks to you, i have found some inspirations for short Christmas poems that I've always wanted to write. I have compiled few of nice christmas poems and hopefully soon I'll be able to write and compile my own. Thanks!

Happy Holidays!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter