Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


30.9.07
  It's Supposed to be a Meme

Doug tagged me for a meme he called easy. Pshaw. I'm supposed to post about my most frequent writing mistake.

Problem is, I don't make 'frequent mistakes'. I happens that I get some German snytax in, but I usually catch it in time. And the problem I have with characterisation is not a mistake, but something I'll need to work on. It's my own fault that I have too many of them running around in my head, lol; I should concentrate on one or two novels.

Ok, that's it for the meme. The cutie below is a black mamba; picture taken in the Snake Farm Schladen / Harz.


And here's one of Doug's favourites - a tarantula. I had problems to get decent shots through the reflecting glass, thus my readers are spared a large amount of slithering serpents and creepy crawlies. *grin*


The strange thing with spiders is that I suffer from a bad case of arachnophobia and run for the poison spray and vacuum cleaner every time one gets into my flat, but on the other side I do find them fascinating - with glass in between. I also like to see nature reports about them, and I know many people with arachnophobia would never go near one even behind glass, or watch them on TV.

Of course, that's the promised pics. What did you think, hot girls? I have no idea what makes a girl hot, I only know that most Hollywood actresses and other red carpet stars aren't attractive in my book.
 
Comments:
That tarantula looks ghostly :)

I agree, it's important to focus on one project at a time. The temptation is tremendous, though, isn't it?

thanks for playing :)
 
I'll have to get back when they take some of the critters out to show them to the visitors. :)

I'm hopeless, I can't concentrate on one project only - at best, I can reduce it to some related ones, like the Empire at War trilogy.
 
Agh, you should post a warning when you're going to put up a pic of a tarantula!! *Shudders* :-)

Agree with you about most Hollywood stars these days. Starvation is really not a good look. I think Scarlett Johansson (sp?) is very attractive though.
 
Poor Alianore, I hope you won't get nightmares. :)

Ok, I'll mention it in the title next time I post creepies. Are snakes a problem, too?
 
Hehe, if I have nightmares tonight, I'm going to come back here and complain. ;)

No, snakes don't bother me at all - at least, behind glass! It's the eight-legged critters I can't abide. ;)
 
So shiny.

*adds tarantula to Christmas wishlist*
 
I agree. Spiders on TV or behind glass=fascinating. Spiders in my house=ick!
 
I'm a bit the same - if I see an adder or a grass snake outside it's fascinating wildlife and I feel very privileged to have seen it going about its business, but I absolutely would not want to see one in my house!
 
Lol Celede, somehow I won't be surprised if you kept tarantulas as pets. But make sure the cat stays away from them, they're not mice. :)

Carla, I'd like to have some snakes - not black mambas, exactly, but harmless ones. Though I don't have the place for a large enough terrarium.
But no tarantulas for me. *grin*
 
No way can a snake be called a cutie. *shudder* I'm glad we don't have them in NZ.
I'm not so bad with spiders - not that any self-respecting spider comes near our house. Hubby works in pest control so we don't have bugs of any sort around our place.
 
Lol, I can't blame the spiders in that case.

There were some young snakes that were cute, believe me. *grin*
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places (like Flanders and the Baltic States), with essays on Roman and Mediaeval history illustrated with lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes. You may also find the odd essay about geology or Mediaeval literature.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail

Twitter