Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


19.11.07
  Architecture of Great Splendour

After the large Romanesque cathedral of Speyer, I'll present you some snapshots of the the largest Gothic cathedral north of the Alps - York Minster. Its ground plan is a bit different from the German churches I've shown on this blog during the last posts. Their structure is a nave plus aisles main building in either basilica or hall design in west-east direction; with a choir and apsis on the eastern end. Most of them have a transept that cuts the nave into a larger main and shorter choir segment, much like a cross. While the crossing sometimes has a tower, the main tower(s) are on the western end.

Western nave (decorated style)

York Minster, which shows several stages of Gothic architecture, has two west-east running naves of the same length (the east nave holding the quire), the western one in basilica, the eastern in hall style, cut by a transept in the middle, and the crossing tower is the largest tower of the building.

North transept (early English style)
You can see that the wall is structured even more than in Speyer.

The different stages of architecture are visible in the different parts of the minster. The transept is Early English (1220-1260) which responds to the German Frühgotik, the western nave is Decorated (12-80-1350) and the eastern nave, the youngest, Perpendicular (built 1362-1472).

View from the crossing, facing south-west

I don't know if Katherine Kurtz visualised a particular church when she wrote the coronation scene in Deryni Rising, but I see York in that scene - with some additions like the sigils on the marble flagstones, of course. It works better than some German Gothic cathedrals I know, like Lübeck, because there are subtle differences, and her books have the flavour of an alternate Britain.

York Minster is famous for its glass windows; it has some of the most beautiful ones I've seen. Remains of the Roman fortress Eboracum have been found under the minster. They can be visited, but photographing is not allowed.
 
Comments:
Oh, I LOVED Katherine Kurtz's books - all of them! I was hooked on that series, had a crush on all the heroes, LOL!
That cathedral is Impressive - Wow!
 
Lol, I've just started the series, but I have already developed a crush on Alaric Morgan. :)
 
York Minster is magnificent. I've visited a couple of times. I always remember York because we visited the Viking center while we were there. Hubby was about to turn on his video when a man appeared out of the dark and told him off. He scared my hubby, sister and I looming out of the dark, and then we couldn't stop laughing. We'd missed the signs about no photos allowed. Loved your photos.
 
Yeah, it's a pity photographing isn't allowed in Jorvik except for the dressed up Vikings - which is better than nothing. :) But then, it won't be easy to get decent shots out of those cars anyway, and the village is rather dark. Maybe that's the reason for the No - you'd have to use a flash, and lots of those can damage some materials. I've several times managed to talk the staff in a museum or gallery with No Photographing policy into allowing it without flash.
 
You're giving me flashbacks to Art History class....

Great pictures. I like having the people in there to get a feel for scale. I remember walking through St. Peter's in Rome and feeling very, very insignificant.
 
York Minster...it all goes so well together! d:)
 
Just. Magnificent.
 
Oh, that is gorgeous. Never been there, but I've always wanted to go. Sigh.
 
Lol Constance, my mother was very interested in the history of architecture and she taught me how to distinguis Romanesque and Gothic and lots of other fun.

Debra, Bernita, and December,
it's absolutely gorgeous and definitely worth a visit. You could put several of those charming German provincial churches into York Minster. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter