Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


17.12.07
  Rrroarrr

Another blog award is making the rounds, A Roar for Powerful Words, created by the Shameless Lion Writing Circle. I thank Julie from Virtual Journey for rewarding me this one. "My fourth award goes to Gabriele of The Lost Fort because this suits her writing perfectly."

This is such a great compliment. Thank you very much, Julie.

I even have the pics to go with it.

Königslutter Cathedral, Lion Gate
The lions are 19th century replicas; the time gnawed originals are today kept inside.

Here's what the founder Seamus says about the purpose of the award:

"Below are copies of the award [got to the above link for them] that we can each distribute to those people who have blogs we love, can't live without, where we think the writing is good and powerful. I thought interested members could kick things off by publishing the award on their own blog, naming five people they would like to give it to (members or non-members), and accompany the image with three things they believe are necessary to make writing good and powerful. The recipients then do the same, passing it on to five other people, and so on."

Closeup of the right side lion.
The originals date from the 11th century and were created by Italian masons.

Not an easy one, actually. Three things that make writing good and powerful? Let's see....

Vivid Descriptions: To pull the reader into worlds past or created, you need to give them and idea of those worlds without bogging down in pages of description. Powerful images, metaphors, expressionistic painting is what you're looking for these days where writing has to compete with other, faster media.

Strong Characters: I mean characters that will at least try and fight the obstacles put in their way. Self doubt and moments of despair make a character more human, but don't give me a whining loser. There's probably a place for those, but not in books I want to read.

Courage: By this I mean the courage to go beyond your comfort zone if the story requires it, and the courage to push the reader beyond that comfort zone as well. There's no place for political correctness in strong writing.

Closeup of the left lion.

Follows the other difficult thing with these memes: the nomination of only five bloggers who I think deserve the A Roar for Powerful Words Award. There are so many strong writers on my blogroll that picking five will leave a good number of others out. But here we go.

1. Bernita. Her images and characters always stay with me. Strong and vivd.
2. Shared by Scott Oden and Steve Goble. Scott's and Steve's stories stand in tradition of the best heroic fiction that has both action and depth.
3. Ian Thomas. Creator of fascinating worlds and memorable characters.
4. Tamara Siler Jones. Boy, does she push comfort zones with her Dubric books.
5. The Cimmerian, a blog that keeps the memory of R.E. Howard alive with interesting, thoughtful and sometimes funny essays. Howard deserves the attention, for he represents some of the strongest writing I've come across.

 
Comments:
Ooh! Thank you very much; I'm touched!

I'm going to have to think long and hard about passing it on; I don't read a huge number of fiction blogs, and many of them deserve slightly different awards. I don't think writing has to be powerful to be good - I've read much that is gentle, touching or simply imaginative flight-of-fant'sy, and is none the worse for that.

Am I allowed to nominate non-bloggers?
 
Also, I think your three criteria are excellent, and are certainly something I always strive for. Since you've already listed them, I'll have to think of different qualities. :-)
 
What marvellous lions, Gabriele!
Thank you. I am highly complimented.
 
Ian, I'd say gentle and touching writing can be powerful in its own way. I could as easily have nominated our Friday snippeter Joely or Holly Lisle for the award.

Nominate whom you think deserves it.

Bernita, you deserve it.
The house of Welfen (welf meaning cub, not necessarily 'wolf cub' as often thought) has spread a number of lions in Saxony - there's a magnificient one in Braunschweig, for example.
 
Oh, I agree with you - I don't think I expressed what I meant very well!

But you've got me musing on all this now. I'll set something down on virtual paper sometime later on. Thanks. :-)
 
Sweet!
Congrats on getting the award - I agree with everything Julie said!
 
Thank you, Sam.
 
Stunning Gabriele - Has Seamus seen your Lions - he collects originals for the writing site??
 
Congrats Gabriele, a well deserved award. :)
 
Does he, Julie. Well, I better send him the link, then. :)

Thank you, Ann.
 
Well darn . . . you done went and made me blush ;)

Thanks, Gabriele!
 
Congratulations, Gabriele! The lions are great.
 
You're welcome, Scott. You deserve it.

Thank you, Carla.
 
Hi Gabriele,
Congrats on the award! Thanks also for your nice words over at the shameless lions writing circle site. It was very nice to offer your lions to us as guardians! They are now up on the site and looking very proud! :-) Thanks again. Your site here looks very impressive. I'll be back.
 
Seamus, you're welcome to the lions. Writer netwrok and support sites are always a great idea. And thank you for your kind words about my blog.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK and Scandinavia.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.

e-mail
Twitter


Links leading outside my blog will open in a new window.
I do not take any responsibility for the content of linked sites.