Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


15.12.08
  Books and More Romans

With Christmas drawing closer with scary speed (it's been third Advent already and I have no idea where the time has gone), I ordered some books for my Christmas money. We're pretty unsentimental about presents in my family - I order books and DVDs I want and my father pays the bills. *grin* Here are some of the goodies I got from the Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft Darmstadt (an academic book club).

Wofgang Giese, Heinrich I (also known as Heinrich the Fowler), first of the Ottonian kings, and sometimes refered to as first German king. I've mentioned him a few times already, and this new biography will come handy to learn more about him. His role in the historical context has been reevalutaed lately.

Heinrich is not only connected with Quedlinburg but also places closer to where I live. One is actually located in what is today a suburb of Göttingen, the former palatine castle of Grona. No traces are left of it except some remains of earthen walls overgrown with trees, and a little memorial monument. As with many old sites, the buildings were used as quarry after the castle had been abandoned.

Another place in the surroundings is the famous palatine palace of Pöhlde, today a little village. Of that one, nothing is left either, except some foundations and a 17th century church that has been erected on the remains of the main nave of the old Romanesque church. It's quite pretty inside, and after the 17th century timber interior and paintings have been renovated the last years, I should visit it again.

Ulrich Knapp, Stätten deutscher Kaiser und Könige im Mittelalter (Places of German Emperors and Kings in the Middle Ages) presents a number of important historical sites in Germany within their historical context. Most of them I have visited some time in my life (though not all with a digital camera).

Besides those two, I got some books about the Romans in Germany. There are a number of new ones, with the 2000 year anniversary of the Varus battle coming up soon.

The church in Pöhlde

And there are more fascinating news: I got even more Romans at my backdoor. A battlefield has been discovered near Northeim (my regular readers may remember the name in connection with the posts about Otto of Northeim). Because we got a lot of problems with illegal diggers, the exact location and details have been kept a secret so far, but a few days ago the archaeologists in charge, Dr. Petra Lönne and Dr. Henning Haßmann, said that they found about 600 objects, dating from the 3rd century AD. And that's what makes this discovery so interesting since it was assumed that Rome didn't get involved in northern Germany after Germanicus left the not-to-be province in 16 AD. I'll keep you informed when I learn more.
 
Comments:
This is all that's known to date (incl. German press links):
href= "http://adrianmurdoch.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/12/third-century-battlefield-at-kalefeld.html">Bread & Circuses
 
I like your family's approach to Christmas! Any room for new family members?
 
Enjoy your readings. And maybe you'll receive more books as preseants :)
 
Thanks for the link, Judith. Why haven't I seen that blog before? ;)
The article is basically a summary of some German newspaper articles. I'll give you some more details when the official announciation is out; there should be more info in the newspapers then.

Sure Susan, we can kick my silly SiL out and take you instead. Much better fit. :D

Thank you, Dark Wolf. One never knows ...
 
I should really get involved with the Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft. That book on Heinrich I looks interesting. Until then, I'll have to raid our university library for stuff to read over the holidays.
 
Jeri, I'm a member for 15 years now (got an anniversary book present this year). It's a very nice but dangerous society to belong. *grin*

They have a series with biographies of Medieaval emperors and other important persons. Althoff's biographies of Heinrich IV and Otto III for example, plus bios of Friedrich Barbarossa, Otto the Great and others. And tons of other books about the Middle Ages (and Romans, lol), partly their own print and partly licenses from other published a bit cheaper than the stores.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places (like Flanders and the Baltic States), with essays on Roman and Mediaeval history illustrated with lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes. You may also find the odd essay about geology or Mediaeval literature.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail

Twitter