Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


9.5.10
  I'll be Away For Some Days

On that journey to the Rhine I mentioned before. The weather looks very British right now, except the rain isn't horizontal. Let's see if the sun decides to peep out a bit to give me some nice photos.

I'll be hunting some Roman remains, old cathedrals and castles and whatever other fun I can find on the way.

Roman fetter

Here's the Roman fetter that was found in Hedemünden in 2008. It has been cleaned and was displayed in an exhibition last year. The neck goes in the large loop, the wrists in the smaller ones, then the whole thing is fixed with the bar. It looks decidedly uncomfortable and the iron was probably going to chafe after some time.
 
Comments:
Bon Voyage, Gabriele! I look forward to seeing the pictures you take!
 
Have a lovely holiday!
 
Definitely chafe. I imagine raw, red spots.

Have a lovely sojourn, Gabriele!
 
Oops, thought I'd already left a comment here! Have a great trip, Gabriele, and hope the weather improves for you! (It seems to be a bit better, here).
 
I can think of some people today who'd pay good money to have those fetters lol! Have a great time!
 
Where'd my comment go?

...anyway, more than chafe I think that device would rub raw.
 
Thank you, Mon Sire Roi, Carla, Bernita, Kathryn, and Jules.

Bernita, comments are held for moderation and will only appear after I approved them. Which I couldn't do since I didn't have online access most of the time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK and Scandinavia.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.

e-mail
Twitter


Links leading outside my blog will open in a new window.
I do not take any responsibility for the content of linked sites.