Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


31.7.08
  Hot Fun

No, it's not about pics of girls who forgot to wear their bra, though that should give me some Google hits, lol. But the title fits the fact that my journey to the Harz and Quedlinburg was fun, but also very hot with about 32°C during the day and lots of sunshine. Fortunately, the nights were a bit cooler since the temperature in the Harz drops somewhat more than in Göttingen (which can be a steaming soup bowl in summer) and the hotel was situated at a little river that brought a cool breeze in the evenings.

Regenstein Castle

There were several beers with my name on them every evening, and they just evaporated somehow. I don't even want to begin and try to figure out how many litres of water I drank; it must have been a small lake. Ice cream is a good thing on hot days, too, especially iced coffee with vanilla ice cream and dab of whipped cream on top.

One of the caves in the Regenstein

But it was definitely fun, including the climbing of some rocks in sandals. I'm the proverbial German when it comes to wearing shoes unsuitable for mountains. Maybe I should volunteer as test person for sandals - if they survive the ways I walk, they will survive about anything.

Falkenstein Castle

The Harz was always a politically important area throughout history, not at least because it's rich in ore, and so Mediaeval times saw a lot of castles on the tops of those hills and mountains. Many of the about 500 Harz castles have left nothing more behind than some tumbled stones and traces in the ground that point to an ancient trench or earthen wall, but some are still formidable ruins or even reconstructed to mirror their former beauty.

Arnstein Castle, remains of the keep and great hall

They are less grand than the Norman castles because space on summits is more limited, but their owners and the architects sometimes got very inventive when it came to making the land - or rather, the bedrock - part of the castle construction. The Regenstein with its part natural, part artificial caves surrounding the keep is a fine example.

Arnstein, great hall

Not all castles were in the focus of the great history the way the Harzburg (which I hope to see in August) was, but they all have their stories. And legends. The Harz is rich in legends, and you'll learn some in the time to come.
 
Comments:
I love the picture of the castle. My favorite picture though is the one of the river in the post below. You always take such beautiful pictures othe landscape. :D
 
Thanx! I didn't get around to see Regenstein. Isn't the area lovely?
 
What a gorgeous area. Glad you had a good time, and survived the heat - it's a steaming heat bowl here too!
 
Thank you, Meghan.

Wortschmiedin (cool name, btw), the area is lovely indeed.

Thanks Alianore. I suppose the Rhine isn't only a heat bowl, but also brews some fine thunderstorms already. I escaped them in the Harz, but they're going to hit up with me tomorrow, I'm afraid.
 
Good to see you back!

Glad you had such a good time and with better weather than Wales! I bet that you and those sandals are best buddies by now - perhaps you should get shares in the company ;-)

Those castles look really impressive and interesting - especially Regenstein. I had no idea you had so many castles in Germany!
 
Lol, Lady D, it were the same sandals I was wearing at Chepstow. They got around a bit this year. :)

Actually, some of the Welsh wind would have been welcome.
 
Photos of castles from the past, even if there are only ruins, fascinate me. Your photos are terrific.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip.
 
32 degrees - I wouldn't have come out of the caves in that heat :-) I take off my hat to you.

Amazing castles, especially Regenstein with the caves. (It looks like the natural habitat of plotbunnies....)
 
ALL your pictures are plot bunnies.
Thank you, Gabriele!
 
Thank you, Barbara, Carla and Bernita.

Yes, the Regenstein is a natural habitat of plotbunnies, and so is the Bode canyon. The good thing about the latter is that I already have an old scene taking place there that only needs a rewrite.

I had been to the area back in 1990 shortly after you could travel in east Germany, but while the nature was splendid, most buildings were in sore need of restoration. I went with my parents and we didn't stay overnight so it was only a peek into the valley, a visit to Quedlinburg Cathedral, and a short walk along the Rosstrappe cliff ridge. I got to see a lot more this time.
 
Yeah, we get terrific thunderstorms here - I think we're due some this evening! At least it's cooler today than yesterday - 34 and extremely humid. Bleugh.
 
You must have more castles than people over there. :) Very awesome way to spend your time. I'm jealous. *sniff*
 
Lol Constance, almost. :) And I'm very good at finding even the ones not in the Baedecker.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction and Fantasy living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter