Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


14.4.09
  Spring at the Rhume Springs

The Rhume river, a tributary of the Leine that flows through Göttingen, has an unusual source: a karstic spring south of the Harz mountains. The rock there is gypsum karst, and the water that seeps into the ground from the Harz rivers Sieber and Oder flows under the ground until it comes to light again in the funnel shaped well of the Rhume.


Colour tracking done in 1930 showed the connections between the Harz rivers and the Rhume. The karstic stone is rich in hollow spaces where water can find its way, and the Harz rivers bring with them a lot of rain that leads to the high output of the Rhume well.


2000l litres of water per second press up from the ground, most of it into the 500 square metre main bassin, but there a minor springs as well. The water has a temperature of 8-9°Celsius all year round and drinking water quality. The main funnel is about 8 metres deep.


In 1999 the well was cleaned after a severe storm had thrown some trees into it. Among the finds was not ony modern trash (some people deserve to be drowned for their manners) but also relics from prehistoric and Germanic times. The Rhume spring must have been a holy place once.


This is no surprise considering the unusual properties of the spring, including its turquoise colour that can be seen in the pic below which I took from a nearby hillock. The bassin is surrounded by trees and in former times probably by a larger wood.


The surroundings are a bit on the swampy side, esp. now with the water levels still high from winter. The Romans would not have liked the place. *grin*

The photo below shows the sping in summer.


I took that one a few years ago; you can see how rich the foliage will soon become.

There is a path and a bridge so one can walk around the main bassin and the side wells. The pictures above show the spring from different angles.
 
Comments:
What a gorgeous color. The photo you took in summer is lovely.

I'm with you about the rubbish. Some people are idiots.
 
A deep still pool, an otherworldly colour of turquoise, with no obvious souce and that never runs dry - it really ought to have been a holy place when people revered water deities. It's nice to have the finds to prove it :-)

It looks like the sort of place that's absolutely begging to have a scene set there...
 
Thank you, Shelley. Yep, those idiots should be sacrified to the water deities.

Carla, you can bet there will be a scene or two. :)
 
Yep, those idiots should be sacrified to the water deities.I was just thinking, to you it's rubbish but to the water deities it's the first sacrifice anyone's made for ages! :-)
 
A goolden fibula I would understand, but coke bins?
 
Very nice place, Gabriele. And it looks marvelous in the summer :)
I saw recently a news from my country where on one of the biggest rivers in Romania, Somes, was poluted with thousands of plastic bottles. I can say a few things about those people throwing them everywehre, but it will unappropriated for your nice blog :)
 
Hi Gabriele

After seeing your comments on my post on Sharon Penmon's site, I thought I'd look you up on the net!

What a blog - It's huge! You are obviously way ahead of me! I've saved it to hard disk and will look at it in detail this evening.

Unfortunately I do not yet have the internet at our house in France, so I'm obliged to come to this Irish Pub to connect and use the Internet (maybe that should be 'fortunate'!!!).

As I said in my post, I have been researching Master Jacques (James) for some 18 mths now, and have found him intrinsically linked to the other Savoyards who took such an important role in the reigns of Henry 111 and Edward 1 - particularly Othon de Grandson - what a man!!

I see you have met Master James at Caernafon - me too. Very interesting character. I am a retired structural engineer and project manager and it was the incredible organisational and project management skills of these people that first got me interested in the research. Since then, like you and SKP, I guess, I have just lost myself in their world.

I'll click on to your site often from now on and I'll try to keep you up to date with my endeavours.

Ken
 
Beautiful colors. I love the last pic especially.
 
That looks like such an incredibly peaceful place. I bet it has lots of atmosphere.
 
Dark Wolf, I have a few choice expressions in several languages for that sort of behaviour. ;)

Hi Ken, welcome to my blog. An Irish pub in France? I thought they only drank wine. ;)
I'm blogging for almost five years now, so post have accumulated a bit over time. Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy my little online home.

It is a peaceful place, Lady D. Preferably in the evening when the tourists are gone. :)
 
Lovely pictures!

I once lived in Northeim ...
 
Gabriele

Great pictures.

I remember just enough geology - the source is awesome!
 
Hi Irene, welcome to my blog. Northeim is not far from Göttingen; I suppose you have been to my hometown as well. :)

Hank, there's a table with explanations and a geological drawing on the site. Very interesting stuff indeed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction and Fantasy living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter