Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


9.8.06
  Kalkriese Overview

Here's the first pic. Of course, the landscape has changed a lot since 9 AD; what was a nasty bog where the Romans got stuck now are fields, the hill on the other side is less high because the land has risen thanks to a fertilizing system that used cut out grass sods turned upside down (the layer is about three metres today) trees have been felled, all that stuff.

Picture taken from the watchtower (not a Roman one, a modern building that also contains the museum

The winding grey way in the middle that cuts right through the iron enclave in the centre of the pic is the Roman marching line; to the left is the woodcovered hill, to the right the former swamp. Within the area enclosed by ruddy iron plates, the original landscape, wood, German wall and wicker defenses, small sandy stripe and bog have already been reconstructed, and it is planned to change a larger area back to what it might have looked like in 9 AD until the anniversary in 2009.
 
Comments:
Wow! It's lovely there. I want to travel and see such places. I'd take pics galore to use for my novels and short stories.
 
Thought that name looked familiar!

Have "The Battle That Stopped Rome" by Peter S. Wells.
While his style sucks, and his logic sometimes faulty, it's an interesting read.
Thank you, Gabriele for giving me a picture I can align with the picture he creates.
 
Hi Zinnia,
thanks for stopping by. I get some of my inspiration from places I visit.

Bernita,
I've read some bad crits of the book and thus didn't buy it (yet).
 
Did they take out the metal plates that showed the Roman path?

I have to say that the reconstruction of the bog is quite impressive once you get there. (It's inside that fenced off area, which is actually dug out.)
 
Firle,
the plates are still there. The bog is very nice, with reed growing on the shores and all. And when you see how small the sandy stipe between the bog and the wall actually was, you start to feel pity for the poor Romans; having your legs stick in the mud and a big blond German wave a sword at your neck is not a situation I want to be in. :)
 
Your photos are works of art. This one's so evokative along with what you wrote to accompany it.
 
What time of year was the Varus battle? I ought to know but can't remember. The upland bogs I'm familiar with dry out partially in summer, so if this one does the same the narrow strip might have been even narrower if the battle was fought in the wet season.
 
According to some plants they found wrapped around the clapper of a mule bell, it must have been autumn.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK and Scandinavia.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.

e-mail
Twitter


Links leading outside my blog will open in a new window.
I do not take any responsibility for the content of linked sites.