Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


5.1.09
  Autumn at the Werra

After the collection of summer photos from the Harz, I'll share some autumn photos from the Werra. Because I'm too lazy to write a long post, lol.

View from Normanstein Castle

The Werra, linguistically the same as the Weser, and thus the Roman Visurgis as well, is another of those typical German rivers surrounded by mountains and fertile plains where the valley widens. It runs through northern Hessia, the ancient land of the Chatti, and Thuringia back to its spring in Eisfeld. Like most German rivers, its main direction is south to north to either the Baltic or the North Sea (the Werra / Weser runs into the North Sea).

Werra river in the autumn sun

It is an area rich in history as well, all the way back to the Roman camp in Hedemünden close to where the Werra confluences with the Fulda and is then called Weser.

Another - rather hazy - view from the Normanstein to the Werra and Treffurt

Thuringia, which had been part of eastern Germany, is on my list to explore a bit this year - there will be a trip to Erfurt for sure, and probably some other places of Medieaval importance as well. I hope you don't get tired of castles and cathedrals.

A reconstructed Medieaval boat on the Werra

This one is a reconstructed river merchant ship we stumbled across by chance in the Schlagd, the old harbour of Wanfried. Today a nice ltitle town on the border between Hessia and Thuringia, Wanfried was involved in several feuds in the Midde Ages. The Schlagd of Wanfried was a change harbour where goods from the ships were loaded upon pack animals and wagons for further transportation.

Old guest house at the Schlagd in Wanfried

I admit I would love to see a reconstructed Roman ship this year. After all, we know that the Romans used ships to transport goods and soldiers, and Germanicus had something like a Visurgis fleet.

Hawthorne

There is already a lot of media hype about the 2000 year anniversary of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest aka the Varus battle. You can expect some posts about it on my blog, but I'm not going to share in the hype and make this Arminius' Blog Year, or something.
 
Comments:
So far my travel plans include a trip to Orlando and hopefully a trip to Washington DC, so there might be castles in my future (does Cinderella's castle count?). I might be able to get you a copy of the Bastard Prince- but I found out that Katherine Kurtz won't be at MarsCon this year (I was going to try and get it signed for you). Are there any other of her books you need?
 
Wow, a river that you can't just step over. *g* I'm impressed. I need to come visit some day and get my tree/water/ruins fix. :) Love the reconstructed boat.
 
Tire of cathedrals and castles and beautiful scenery? Never! Keep those lovely pics coming, Gabriele. You live in a beautfiul part of the world and you take great photos!
 
Very nice post and pictures, thank you Gabriele :)
 
Ann, thank you for still thinking about that book. To have it signed would have been nice, but I'll be glad if I can get it at all. Thank you very much.

Constance, you should. Maybe you can officially introduce Corgies to Germany (there are a few, actually, but it's not a widely spread race here) and call it a business trip.

Thank you, Satima and Dark Wolf.
 
Ahhhh.... the sun... whatever happened to that? And warmth...

And no, I will never get tired of castles and cathedrals either ;-)
 
Lol, we have lots of sun here, but the warmth ... well, only if you consider -22°C warm. ;)
 
Sick of castles and cathedrals? In a word, no. I love autumn. The photos are lovely.
 
Lovely photos, and no, I don't get tired of castles and cathedrals :-)
The reconstructed merchant ship looks interesting. Is the river too small to be navigable above Wanfried, or was there another reason why goods changed to land transport there?
 
Thanks, Shelley and Carla.

Carla, as far as I know the river could not be used by the larger, deepgoing cogs from Wanfried. Another reason, I think, is that some goods needed to be transported along the west-east route from there and no longer on the river. Whatever, the place was important enough for tax income in the later Middle Ages that the landgrave of Thuringia and the landgrave of Hessen-Kassel were at each others' throats about the possession of Wanfried more than once. :)
 
I never tire of castles and cathedrals. Do you have a sub-list of your posts on Cistercian cathedrals? I'm into that part of my manuscript that needs a bit more description of the churches and their innards.
 
What a great blog!

I have been looking all over for a photo of a medieval riverboat, preferably from the Weser valley.

Can you tell me from what century the original of the boat you saw in Wanfried might be?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter