Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


7.2.09
  Pembroke Pictures

I've had a busy week and the next one doesn't look any better; right now I don't even get as much writing done as I want, thanks to the complicated mess that is business administration studies. So it will only be a photo post today. I chose a collection of another southern Welsh castle: the famous Pembroke.

Pembroke Castle in the evening sun

There will be a post with more information later, but for now let's enjoy what my Travel in Wales guidebook calls a 'big, whopping caste.' The castle and the main road more or less make the town of Pembroke. The disadvantage is that the station is at one end of the road and the castle (and my hotel) at the other. Dragging luggage made that road appear very long.

Inner ward with Marshal Tower (left)

While the evening was sunny, the afternoon had looked a lot more Welsh, with dark, low clouds (but no rain). The light added an aura of drama to the view, the only thing lacking were some archers on the battlements. Just as well, though, that way I could get in by merely paying an entrance fee.

Battlements on the outer curtain wall

No hot looking knight anywhere in sight these days, but fortunately, there were few tourists as well which makes for better pics. Those jeans and sweaters look a bit out of place.

The outer ward is a large yard that should make a perfect place for reenactment tournaments.

Inner bailey, view towards the Northern Hall

As with Chepstow and other castles, Pembroke was altered during its history. Almost every new owner added something, a tower, a new hall, more walls ... and especially the inner yard still looks crowded with half-fallen buildings. It must have been a busy place back in the Middle Ages when the walls still stood to full height and the roofs weren't missing.

Inside one of the towers

The parts still intact or reconstruced are a maze of rooms and passages. It makes me wonder if William Marshal's kids played hide and seek there. What I found interesting about those passages which can be found in most Norman castles, is that the ceilings are lower in Pembroke than fe. In Caernarfon. Edward I was called Longshanks for a reason, it seems.

Another outside view of Pembroke Castle

I had already changed for dinner when the sun came out. I decided to take a few shots of the castle from outside the walls and ended up walking the entire perimeter around the lake. It is one of several lovely memories I brought home with me.
 
Comments:
"Big, whopping castle." Can't that apply to quite a few of them? :D

Great pics, Gabriele. Pembroke looks wonderful in the evening light.

(sigh) So many places to visit, so little cash...
 
What a beauty! (And what a whopper!)
 
Gabriele

Great photos!
 
But... but... where's the Corgis???

I saw 'Pembroke' and I got all excited. *g* As well, I'll just enjoy the whopping big castle. Nifty pictures - even without the Corgis.

(And see, not one mention of blowing, scaling, or otherwise destroying the walls!)
 
Gorgeous. As with all your pics, I wish I could go there...
 
Wow, what a great place!

"Big, whopping castle" - LOL!
 
Kirsten, yes, most of them are big. But the Marshal Tower is particularly impressive, even for Welsh standards.

Lol Susan, but I haven't seen a Pembroke Burger anywhere. Makes you wonder what would go on it - venison and bacon, probably, but not fancy salad. ;)

Thank you, Hank.

Constance, I must admit I don't get the connection between corgies and Pembroke, except that they would consider it a great playground. :)

Thank you, Satima and Alianore.
 
Gorgeous photos, especially the first one. I've done the whole luggage dragging thing. It's exhausting!
 
Well, Corgis are supposed to have originated in Pembrokeshire, Wales. Apparently the area WASN"T big enough to contain the little monsters. *g*
 
Lol, why doesn't that surprise me, Constance. :)

Thanks, Shelley. Yep, and I don't get it why there's not a least one taxi at the station when one of the two trains per day that arrive at Pembroke comes in.
 
I haven't been to Pembroke yet - but it looks like a great castle to visit. I love the ones with lots of passages and things! But.... no hot looking knight? Pah! I think that CADW need to start recruiting for us ladies ;-)

And good luck with all you have to do in the next couple of weeks!
 
I LOVE Pembroke castle! and not just because Henry Tudor was born there. Fabulous pix!
 
Beautiful photographs. The castle looks lovely in the evening light.
 
Lady D, absolutley, CADW needs to get some hot guys in mail for us. :)

Thank you Carla and Anerje. And Hi, Anerje, welcome to my blog.
 
The Marshal has certainly left his mark.
 
Yeah, that is quite an impressive tower he built there. :)
 
Beautiful photos of a place I'd love to visit. I have relatives living in Wales I should perhaps be looking up.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter