Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


29.5.08
  I'm Back

I'm back. With lots of pics. Yes, I can hear Bernita's sigh of relief now. *grin*

Two rainy afternoons in two weeks wasn't bad at all, particularly not for Wales. Except for a fresh wind blowing from the sea sometimes, it was not cold, either. The only problem was the often hazy atmosphere which made it difficult to get decent photos of the landscape. But I got plenty of the castles.

Chepstow Castle, outer curtain wall

I managed to meet with Lady D from Lady Despenser's Scribery and James Oswald from Sir Benfro. It's nice to meet people you know from the internet in real. With Lady D I invaded Chepstow Castle (as she already mentioned on her blog), and with James I took a stroll through Aberystwyth, discussing ghosts and magic in novels. I failed to see a real ghost in any of the castles, though.

Kirsten, next time your mom plans to take you on a boring sea voyage through the Scottish mist, tell her you'll go to Wales and meet with me instead; it'd be a lot more fun.

Chepstow Castle, sea gate

Welsh public transport does get you places - except on Bank Holidays - though sometimes it's a bit complicated and through the backdoor and kitchen into the living room, like from Caernarfon to Dolwyddelan via Llandudno. But at least you can stop a bus almost everywhere.

Dolwyddelan Castle, Llywelyn's Keep

People actually speak Welsh in north Wales, and it's a pretty sounding language. In south Wales on the other side, the bilingual signs and descriptions fe. in the castles are a joke since almost no one can tell you how to pronounce a word, let alone knows what it means.

Conwy Castle, inside seen from one of the towers

Ok, now I'll have to go and sort out 2,000 photos, read up on two weeks worth of blogposts on my sidebar links, and put my foot into cold water because I managed to slip when leaving the ferry in Amsterdam and twist something. No, I'm not going to see a doctor for that, he'd only put my foot in a cast and make a lot of fuss about not doing this and not doing that. I heal better without the 'help' of a bone setter (to use a Mediaeval term).

Criccieth Castle

Oh, and it's fortunately back to German cakes and sweets; the British stuff is way too sugary for my taste. And to some nice rye bread with cheese instead of scrambled eggs with mushrooms. :)

There are more pictures here.
 
Comments:
~sighs with relief~
Glad you're back!
What fabulous photos, Gabriele!
 
Lol. Will do. We (including Mum) were all unanimous in our determination that we weren't going to do anything like that ever again. ;)

Sounds like you had a great time, though. Love all the photos! How many plotbunnies did you pick up while you were away? :)
 
Can't wait for more!
 
Welcome back! I hope your ankle gets better.
2000 photos should keep you in blog posts for a while to come :-) Looking forward to them.
 
Thank you, Bernita.

Kirsten, don't ask. The critters are a pest. ;)

Lol Susan and Carla,
I haven't even posted all of my Hadrian's Wall pics yet, or the German ones. They keep piling up.
 
Welcome back to Blogland!

Glad you had a great time with the other castles - great pics of Chepstow by the way! That camera is much superior to mine! LOL!

I'm glad you got to Dolwyddelan. Did you like the smaller Welsh castle? And how about the atmosphere?

Anyway, now you're back I'll send those other couple of pics (you; you and me) over so that you can add them to your collection of thousands :-)
 
*waves to Lady D*
Well, the camera was sponsored by my father. Ever since I got the first one when I was 12 and managed to get some good pics out of it, he has supported my interest in photography and made sure I have equipment up to my skills.

I loved Dolwyddelan; it felt special in a way.
 
Those pictures are AMAZING!

You know, as strange as it may sound when I study English history I often don't pay much attention to Wales, even though it's clearly an important part the UK. I often hear more about Scotland (my mom's side came from the Highlands)or Ireland, where another part of my family comes from.

I've only been to Scotland and English so far, but I think I should consider adding Wales as well!
 
ENVIOUS!

So did you go to Cardiff??

I only ask cause I am HUGE Torchwood fan.
 
Hehe, I had to look up Torchwood; I don't think German TV shows it. I've mostly used Cardiff as point to get to other places (I don't like to pack my stuff every morning when I travel) and more or less saw St. Mary's Street and the castle. But the nightlife is very lively. Can't say I've met some extraterrestrials though, or they have been very well disguised. :)
 
Welcome Back!

Great pictures!
 
and

the Conwy Castle picture is fantastic!
 
Yay! Welcome back! Those are fabulous pictures (the ones of Beaumaris look like some of the walls in my castle *g*).
I think I caught a glimpse of several plotbunnies in those pictures. Could I borrow one or two? :)
 
Absolutely stunning!!!
Those castles, and the surrounding countryside, looks so beautiful. You must have had a wonderful time. And I agree about the too sugary sweets! LOL.
We have our German correspondant here this week, so I am brushing up on my non-existant German. Luckily she speaks some French and English!
 
Welcome back. Interesting places and impressive photos.
 
I'm glad to hear you had a good, and reasonably weather-friendly time, Gabriele. It was nice to meet you in Aberystwyth, however briefly. And if you want any help with pronunciation of Welsh words, or meanings, just give me a shout;}#
 
Meghan,
you absolutely should add Wales to your list.

Thank you, Hank.

Sure Ann, there's plenty of plotbunnies for both of us - and whoever else wants some. :)

Sam, but you have some pretty big castles in France as well; Richard Coeur de Lion saw to that. :)

Thank you and welcome to my blog, Phivos Nicolaides.

James, I had some days with weather like we had in Aberystwyth. And having come back to a very hot, humid and thunderstorm-prone climate, I would welcome the cool Welsh winds. A lot.
I may take you up on some Welsh lessons if my plotbunnies continue to insist on me adding that setting to my books. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction and Fantasy author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK and Scandinavia.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.

e-mail
Twitter


Links leading outside my blog will open in a new window.
I do not take any responsibility for the content of linked sites.