Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


22.1.09
  The Caledonians Are Coming!

Today the view from the remains of a fortress tower or mile castle along the Hadrian's Wall shows a peaceful scenery.

View from the ruins of a mile castle near Birdoswald

Back when the towers still stood proud, a Roman sentinel on guard service may have seen something else.

Damn, not another bunch of those ill tempered Caledonian Celts!

Exhibition at Birdoswald fortress

Hm, looks like they got some reinforcements from the continent. Some of those guys are really blond. Or is that our Batavian auxiliary? You never know what side they are on.*

Miniatures; Roman Army Museum

Some poor sod must have lost his sword. If the centurion sees all that rust, the guy will be in big trouble.

Roman sword; Roman Army Museum

And that's what is left behind today. A wall to keep the tourists and their money in.

Remains of the Hadrian's Wall near Birdoswald

* To be just, the Batavians were on the Roman side most of the time, except for that one big mutiny in 69 AD.

Not traveling around in the dark months of winter has its advantages; I finally manage to post some of my older photos. I take too many, that's the problem. ;)
 
Comments:
The closest I've been to Hadrian's Wall is a view from a bus, travelling from Manchester to Glasgow. But it has always fascinated me, ever since we learnt about it in school when I was six - so I always like to see pictures of the area and archealogical exhibits!
 
Yeah, I know - my spelling is sometimes quite idiosyncratic!
 
I think picture 2 could be a prime candidate for a caption competition hehe!
 
Thank you, Satima. I spent a week at the Hadrian's Wall in 2007. Loved it.

Lol, Lady D. Feel free to make some. :)
 
The last pic is pretty neat...the road uses the foundations of the wall. That would have been done in Georgian times right?
 
Can that poor sentry even see the mad Caledonians from under that helmet?

Five months till I get to invade the frontier again!
 
Gabriele, this blog is a treasure; I've learned great details from your photo entries. Thanks, d:)
 
Stag, not the foundations of the wall, but there was a road along it to move troops and supplies, and that one is still the base for parts of the modern road. Much like the Stanegate a few miles to the south which goes arrow-straight from Newcastle to Carlisle.

Kirsten, he can hear them. :)

Thank you very much, Dayya.
 
Great photographs. It's a very scenic part of the country.

Maybe the sentry was looking out for the post and hoping his warm socks had arrived?
 
Or the Celtic beer. :)
 
I'm slow in viewing and commenting because I've been writing. I love coming here because some of the areas and periods of history you post are in one of my upcoming manuscripts...hooray!
 
Thank you, Barbara. I'm glad to be of help.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter