My Illlustrated Travel Journal with Essays about Roman and Mediaeval History and some Geology


26.11.10
  Happy Thanksgiving

To everyone who celebrates it.

It's another holiday not very important in Germany. So no turkey for me (since I never had any, I don't know what I'm missing) and no huge family gathering (I'm sure I won't miss anything there *wink*).

Candelabra in the Imperial Cathedral Speyer

This huge candelabra that looks a bit like a stylised plane tree with odd shapes in the background was created by Burghildis Roth, one of the most elusive artists. She is / has been (?) a Sister of the Dominican order living in Speyer. Her art is called 'modern'; that's pretty much all I could find out. Well, the candelabra looks pretty with all those votive candles.
 
Comments:
Fantastic candelabra! By the way, is it snowing where you are, Gabriele? We've had a bit, but it hasn't settled (it rarely does here).
 
We have some; the landscape looks like covered with powdered sugar. But they promised some real buckets full of the white fun for Monday.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a travel journal and history blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places. It includes essays on Roman and Mediaeval history, as well as some geology, illustrated with photos of old castles and churches, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail


    Featured Posts


A Tour through Mediaeval Paderborn



Cardiff Castle



The Isis Temple in Mainz



The Fram Museum in Oslo



Staffa