Roman and Mediaeval History, Illlustrated Travel Journals, Mediaeval Literature, Geology


29.12.08
  Summer in the Harz. With Castles

After all those posts with lots of text and few pictures, I thought I'd go back to some picture posts for a change. Summer impressions on a cold winter day.

View to the north-eastern Harz foothills

Seen from Regenstein Castle. Somewhere in the distance lies Quedlinburg


Michaelstein Monastery, cloister

Remains of a 12th century Cisterciensian monastery. The cloister and some of the outhouses have been preserved and today house a museum for music instruments, a school, and a restaurant.

Michaelstein Monastery, herbal garden

I want a garden like that.


Falkenstein Castle

Falkenstein Castle was originally built in 1115 and altered several times during the following centuries. It was never conquered, but in the 18th century it was a ruin until the then owner reconstructed most of the buildings.

View from Falkenstein Castle to the Selke valley

Germany can be very green, too.


Arnstein Castle

A picturesque ruin. And a nice uphill walk in 30°C summer heat.


Bode River

One of the many shots I took of that one. I love running water.


Rappbode Reservoir

The sun had given way to some thunderclouds, and the air was very still.
 
Comments:
What are those dark green, pointy things all over the landscape? *g*
I want a castle... but I'll settle for the monastery.
 
Lol, they're called trees, Constance. We got plenty of those, though there's still some of the pine monocultures left - it will take a few more years for the original mixed forest of oak, beech, pine and fir to regrow.
 
Lovely! Makes me feel I have to visit next year ...
 
Lovely, especially the herb garden. Brother Cadfael would have liked that.
 
Pretty vedette, must be nice to be up there for a morning cuppa, but a real drag when the wind comes howling from the North.
 
Castles. I love castles.
Your pictures are so tempting, I want to visit Germany.
P.S. The hills are alive with the sound of plotbunnies. :)
 
Thank you, Irene. Germany is surely worth a visit.

Carla, he so would. I suspect Ellis Peters decided to give her sleuth a herbal garden so she had a reason to visit them. :)

Stag, yes, there's a lot of wind on those hills. Not bad on a hot day, but castles weren't the best place to live in winter.

Thanks, Ann. Yeah, them plotbunnies live wild here and they breed. *grin*
 
Gabriele



Summer???

I was beginning to thing that was myth.

Thanks for the picture,s I needed the reminder.
 
I'll be frequenting your blog more often as you have just the material I need to complete my second manuscript. With a photo to use as a reference I find it easier to describe a setting of how high a window or arch will be over a drop to the ground.
 
Thank you, Hank. Summer's not a myth, we had a few days of it this year.

Barbara, I'm glad I can help your imagination with my photos. Maybe one day you can visit some of the places yourself.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


Miscellaneous musings of an aspiring Historical Fiction author. Illustrated essays on Roman, Dark Age and Mediaeval history, Mediaeval literature, and Geology. Some poetry translations and writing stuff. And lots of photos of old castles, cathedrals, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes from Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and the Baltic States.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a writer of Historical Fiction living in Germany. I got a MA in Literature, Scandinavian Studies, Linguistics and History, I'm interested in Archaeology and everything Roman and Mediaeval, an avid reader, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, and photographer.


e-mail

Twitter