My Illlustrated Travel Journal with Essays about Roman and Mediaeval History and some Geology


22.12.16
  Merry Christmas

I wish everyone a merry and peaceful Christmas.


My Christmas forest

I've been asked for more photos of my pretty Christmas decorations. I picked my wood turned splinter tree forest this year, since it has grown a bit. I try to collect another tree or two every year.

Some roe with a fawn.

The last years I've chosen some wooden animals to fill the forest. They are worked by turning as well. I got the single roe a few years ago, but this year I totally fell in love with the roe mom and her fawn (though it is out of season in winter).

A rabbit

There is a shop on the local Christmas market that sells original crafts from the famous workshops in the Ore Mountains (Erzgebirge). I also got me this little rabbit back in November. Since it was right during Nano, it may well be a plotbunny. :-)

A little squirrel

This adorable squirrel was an addition from last year. I got one for my father as well since he likes the bushy tailed cuties.

Forest with nativity scene in the foreground

Another view of the forest seen from the side where I put the little carved nativity scene from Israel. It is a different work of craft but I set this one up every year; it was the last gift of my late mother.

The Christmas pyramid with an incense smoker (Räuchermännchen) in the background

This is a heritage from my great-grandmother. I finally managed to repair the pyramid - one of the wee angels had flown off - and thus it is part of the decoration again this year. It is another fine example of hand crafted work from the Erzgebirge.
 
Comments:
Merry Christmas Gabriel. I always look forward to your Christmas photos. They look so beautiful. I love the addition of the animals - especially the rabbit.
 
Happy Christmas, Gabriele!
The trees and animals are lovely. And what else could it possibly be but a plotbunny?
 
PS - 'A Strife of Stewarts' is an inspired collective noun. Is it your invention?
 
Thank you, Anerje and Carla.

Carla, yes, it's my invention.
 
Gabriele

A merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Hank
 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a travel journal and history blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places. It includes essays on Roman and Mediaeval history, as well as some geology, illustrated with photos of old castles and churches, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail



    Featured Posts


A Virtual Tour Through the Wartburg



Dunstaffnage Castle



The Roman Fort at Osterburken



The Vasa Museum in Stockholm



The Raised Bog Mecklenbruch in the Solling