My Illlustrated Travel Journal with Essays about Roman and Mediaeval History and some Geology


1.1.17
  Happy New Year

I wish everyone a happy New Year.


Kiessee Lake with ducks and swans

Here are some winter and water photos for you. :-)

The Kiessee Lake - a flooded gravel pit which had been in use until 1955 - is a recreational park not far from my flat, so I do a bit of walking there frequently.

Closeup of the swan family

I brought my camera along today to get some winter photos from our New Year's walk I did together with my father. And a lovely sunny afternoon it was, too, albeit cold and rather windy. It didn't prevent a lot of other people walking along the lake as well, though I could photograph around them.

The lake from a different angle at the south shore

The temperature had been a bit below zero those last days and the lake starts to freeze over, though I would not recommend anything heavier than a swan to walk on that treacherous layer of thin ice.

Seen from the west shore

There are rare winters when the ice is safe for skating. In summer, the lake often swarms with canoes and other small boats. There is a parking lot at the north side of the lake - just well my father can park his car near my flat since the parking lot is always full.

Reeds and the lake against the low winter sun

The surface of the lake is 15 ha and the shores about 2 miles, but there are additional ways in the surroundings, for example along the Leine/Flüthe flood canal which is connected to the lake by a weir and several basins.

Compensation basin at the Flüthe rivulet

The weir, dam and canal system of Leine / Flüthe (an estuary of the Leine) and Kiessee lessens the danger of floods in the town of Göttingen, though the road running directly along the north side of the park still gets flooded when the Leine river rises too high.

Retention basin at the Leine/Flüthe flood canal

I took some spring photos of the Kiessee a few years ago, and I also got some summer photos of the lake and the canal in my archives.
 
Comments:
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! Beautiful winter photos! And yes, I am Welsh;)
 
I should blog about Dolwyddelan Castle for you. The Edwardian whoppers in north Wales are fascinating castles, but I don't think Edward Longshanks and his master mason will ever make the popularity lists in Wales. :-D
 
Das war sicher ein schöner Spaziergang :-) Auf jeden Fall hast Du schöne Fotos davon mitgebracht.
Auch Dir ein gutes, interessantes und natürlich auch gesundes 2017 wünscht die Silberdistel

 
Post a Comment

<< Home


The Lost Fort is a travel journal and history blog based on my travels in Germany, the UK, Scandinavia, and other places. It includes essays on Roman and Mediaeval history, as well as some geology, illustrated with photos of old castles and churches, Roman remains, and beautiful landscapes.

All texts (except comments by guests) and photos (if no other copyright is noted) on this blog are copyright of Gabriele Campbell.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Germany

I'm a blogger from Germany with a MA in Literature and History which doesn't pay my bills, so I use it to research blogposts instead. I'm interested in everything Roman and Mediaeval, avid reader and sometimes writer, opera enthusiast, traveller with a liking for foreign languages and odd rocks, photographer, and tea aficionado. And an old-fashioned blogger who hasn't yet gotten an Instagram account. :-)


e-mail



    Featured Posts


A Virtual Tour Through the Wartburg



Dunstaffnage Castle



The Roman Fort at Osterburken



The Vasa Museum in Stockholm



The Raised Bog Mecklenbruch in the Solling